Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Blog Post 1 - Play Session

I missed the day of the class play session, but in my spare time I did play Star Fluxx with a friend.

Star Fluxx is a card game which follows the standard mechanics of any other Fluxx game. There are 6 types of cards.

Rule cards- Rule cards set limits on players such as how many cards can be in their hand, how many must be played per turn, and how many Keepers can be on the field.
Keeper cards- These are cards that can stay on the field. Some have abilities on them.(In Star Fluxx, these cards contain references to popular sci-fi space shows and movies).
Creeper cards- These cards must be attached to Keeper cards and prevent the player from winning the game using the Keeper the Creeper is attached to.
Goal cards- These cards will say which two Keeper cards are required to win.
Action cards- These allow players to do special actions such as drawing extra cards, completely discarding their hand, playing extra cards,etc.
Surprise cards- These cards can be played at any time to stop another player using an Action card. They can also be played during a normal turn.

Until Rule cards have been placed, Star Fluxx follows a simple draw 1 card, play 1 card per turn. Each player starts with 5 cards in their hand. Star Fluxx cards reference all things star related, including Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, Doctor Who and more.





For the first couple of turns of the play session, my friend and I stuck to the draw 1, play 1 rule. I had a Play 3 rule in my hand, but did not want to have to play all of my cards at that time. Eventually, my friend put down a draw 5 rule and my hand quickly got out of hand.

After the draw 5 rule went into play, I put down a play 3 rule and changed the draw rule to draw 4. Eventually, we started to set goal cards. At this point, I had plenty of goal cards in my hand and for every goal my friend set, I set one that included at least one of my Keepers. A rule card was put down later that limited us to only 1 card in our hand, forcing me to discard all of my cards and my friend to do the same. 

My draw 4, play 3 rule was still in place. I had a Surprise card in my hand allowing my to draw 3 then play 2 cards(discarding the last). This gave me the keeper I needed to win, but I was foiled by the creeper on the second keeper. I still had two more cards to play so I set down a different Keeper, used it's ability to steal one of my friend's keepers and changed the goal so I won with that pair instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment