Thursday, October 3, 2013

Blog Post 2 - Paper Prototype

Call It
My paper prototype project is called Call It. The main mechanic of the game is chance. It is a race to the end game that relies entirely on chance and luck...unless you cheat. 


RULES

START
Player tokens (coins) on start space.
Flip coin to decide who goes first. Someone calls heads or tails while the coin is in the air. If there are more than 2 players, players flip against each other to determine play order.

TURN
Flip a coin and pick a card from either the HEADS or TAILS pile depending on coin results. Move according to cards.

When two players end up on the same space, they must BATTLE (best 2 out of 3 coin flips). Winner gets to draw a movement card from the corresponding pile of the final flip and play the card. This does not count as a turn.

CHALLENGE SPACES
When a player lands on a challenge space, they may battle another player (best 2 out of 3). The winner gets to move their token to the more advanced space between the two (if they are already on it, they keep their position).

DECK
Each deck contains the same number of cards.
(4) Move forward 2
(3) Move forward 1
(2) Move back 1
(1)Move back 2
(2) Leap (move forward 3)
(1) Slide - The players may keep this card until they land on a space that overlaps with another space (marked with stars). This card allows the player to slide to the inner space.
(1) Set Trap - When a player draws this card, they may set a trap on the board anywhere they like. The first person to land on the trap springs it. They must move their token to the ring outside their current ring. The person who places the trap is NOT immune to it. Trap cards are removed from the deck until their traps are sprung.They may be added back in after that.
(1) Transport- This card allows the player to move to the next space with a circle they see on the board. If there is not one ahead of them, they stay where they are.



PLAY SESSIONS
The first time I played this game was with a classmate whose name I can't remember. This was on Monday, September 16 and we decided during the initial brainstorming that we would use a coin flip to move our pieces on the board and that it should be a circular board. After the first couple of minutes, we had drawn two different boards and decided to play on mine. We decided heads would move forward one, tails would move back one. Realizing that was getting us nowhere (I kept flipping tails), we made movement cards for heads or tails. We made a few different forward and back cards. After a couple of minutes, we decided we needed more forward cards than back. After another 5 minutes, we decided the game needed something else. We were getting around the board, but there was nothing that kept the game interesting. We needed conflict. Our time ran out after that.

My second play session was with my boyfriend, using the current form of the game. I had just finished clearly writing out my rules (so I thought) so I didn't bother rereading them before we started. We ended up playing with the wrong reward for the challenge. We were never on the same space, so I never realized the mistake. We did have a lot of fun playing, mostly because I was losing at my own game for most of it. I filmed the last few minutes of play, where I ultimately won and was accused of cheating. The most amusing part of that was that I had considered cheating before I filmed anything because I thought I shouldn't lose my own game.



The third play session was in class on Monday with Ramone. We played with proper rules and I realized that there were some nuances I hadn't explained in my rules (which are now in the blog) and that I needed to rewrite a couple of cards to make them more clear. We both enjoyed playing the game, and I have not made any more revisions, though if I were to, I would try to add some kind of story or theme. Something along the lines of aesthetics instead of mechanics.

No comments:

Post a Comment