Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Blog 5 - Video Games and Health

For my final for this class, I am going to give a presentation on the effects of video games on health. I gathered all of the images through google, so I own nothing in the slideshow, but I will repost my favorite picture from the slide show here:


The presentation consists mostly of summarized versions of studies done on the effects of video games on the brain, which I would prefer not to post here without links to the articles (which I accessed through the school library so I'm not sure that they'd work here). So I will post a condensed version of my speaking notes.

*A study in 2008 showed that video games can increase a person's attention, spatial memory and decision making skills. Gamers slightly outperformed non-gamers.

*A 2012 study showed that FPS gamers had faster reaction times, better speed and better accuracy than non-gamers. It also helped to combat the common idea that violent video games beget violent, antisocial and impulsive behavior.

*A 2012 study done on high school boys showed that heavy gamers had better short term memory encoding than casual and non-gamers.

*A 2009 study done on a 24 year old brain trauma patient showed that 5 weeks of using a car simulator had helped improve his memory and increased brain activity.

*From here, I'll lead into Jane McGonigal, repeating things I said in my last blog: http://gamersoranye.blogspot.com/2013/12/blog-4-jane-mcgonigals-extra-7-minutes.html

*And finally, a study was done using Lumosity(http://www.lumosity.com/) and ATP3(http://www.lapublishing.com/apt-attention-process-training-test/) that showed that both programs had helped significantly improve cognitive function in brain trauma patients.

Overall outcome: Video games are good for us. So when people try to tell you otherwise, tell them that there is ongoing research that keeps proving the benefits of video games and then run off and play whatever game you happen to be playing now. Thank you and good night!

Oh and here, have some baby animals because they are adorable and good for you:







This last one reminds me of my boyfriend, who gets a special thank you for giving me the list of research that my presentation is based on.

Citations (the best I can do is SJSU library links, but the journals are there for those who don't have SJSU access).

 Blacker, Kara J. Curby, Kim M. ; Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics, Vol 75(6), Aug, 2013. pp. 1128-1136. [Journal Article]

Boot, Walter R. Kramer, Arthur F. Simons, Daniel J. Fabiani, Monica Gratton, Gabriele ; Acta Psychologica, Vol 129(3), Nov, 2008. pp. 387-398. [Journal Article]

Caglio, Marcella Latini-Corazzini, Luca D’agata, Federico Cauda, Franco Sacco, Katiuscia Monteverdi, Silvia Zettin, Marina Duca, Sergio Geminiani, Giuliano ; Cognitive Processing, Vol 10(Suppl2), Sep, 2009. Special issue: Neuroscience today: Neuronal functional diversity and collective behaviors. pp. S195-S197. [Journal Article]

Colzato, Lorenza S. van den Wildenberg, Wery P. M. Zmigrod, Sharon Hommel, Bernhard ; Psychological Research, Vol 77(2), Mar, 2013. pp. 234-239. [Journal Article]

 Zickefoose, Samantha Hux, Karen Brown, Jessica Wulf, Katrina ; Brain Injury, Vol 27(6), Jun, 2013. pp. 707-716. [Journal Article]


Wilms, Inge L. Petersen, Anders Vangkilde, Signe ; Acta Psychologica, Vol 142(1), Jan, 2013. pp. 108-118. [Journal Article]


No comments:

Post a Comment